April’s Fun Friday reflects Earth Day

For the fourth Fun Friday of the year, ASB coordinated Earth Day themed activities to get students involved

ASB members and Adviser Mrs. Denise Vicario organized an Earth week themed Fun Friday. This event was held at the field during lunch on April 13 to get more students involved in activities.

ASB has a new theme for every Fun Friday.  The most recent one was Earth day.  They included a planting station with bean sprouts, along the other activities Fun Friday’s usually has.  ASB officers plan Fun Fridays to alternate with Spirit Roars to encourage more participation.

ASB School Liaison Farid Partida said, “I prefer Fun Fridays because it has more people involved and Spirit Roars include people volunteering.”  Farid helps ASB set up for the activities and is in charge of nation ball during Fun Friday.

HULA HOOPS - Going retro, students played with Hula Hoops on Fun Friday. There were an assortment of activities students could participate in.
HULA HOOPS – Going retro, students played with Hula Hoops on Fun Friday. There were an assortment of activities students could participate in.

“Fun Fridays spread school spirit and make lunch more interactive and fun,” said ASB President Jessica Ortiz.  The leadership class plans all the activities in room 20 with help of other clubs.

According to Jessica, ASB gets questions about Fun Fridays, but the common question is “When are they?”  By alternating Fun Fridays and Spirit Roars, ASB is able to keep the calendar filled with opportunities to encourage school spirit.  

Jessica also said, “More students participate in Fun Friday’s because students like a more interactive event.”

The April 13 Fun Friday activities included nation ball, planting station, jump rope, hula hoops, and many more.  Specifically, the bean sprout planting station represented the Earth Day theme along with recycled bowling and a water ball toss.  In February’s Fun Friday, students were encouraged to make grams for Valentines.

Seventh-Grader Angela Sierra said, “Fun Friday’s are a great way to create new bonds and have fun with all your friends.”

JUMP ROPE - All together, a group of students jump rope on the blacktop. Having fun and participating was the spirit of Fun Fridays.
JUMP ROPE – All together, a group of students jump rope on the blacktop. Having fun and participating was the spirit of Fun Fridays.

ASB organized Earth week games such as recycled bowling, recycled planting, and water ball toss. All this activities were new because the purpose of the April Fun Friday was about Earth week and they boosted up the school spirit.

ASB Vice-President Daniella Torres said, “Fun Friday’s are fun because we don’t have to get people to volunteer and we get to make memories with the rest of the students.”