MacArthur’s track team becomes stars

Winning 23 out of 56 categories, MacArthur’s track team dominates the competition at the city track meet.

“It takes a lot of hard work to develop that technique,” said coach Patrick Evans referring to MVP eighth grader,  Kris Gomez.  Kris was able to succeed in track and field because of his love for competition.

“I like that there is good competition,” said Kris

MacArthur’s track team gave a dominating performance to win first place in the SAUSD track meet on May 21 at Valley high school.  In addition MacArthur came in first place in 23 out of 56 categories. They competed against 12 other schools and still managed to keep first place.  The events that were only running were the mile, the 100, 400, 200, relay and the 800.

MacArthur’s track and field team developed first place by practicing every weekday since April 11 except Wednesdays. They practiced in the field or bowl depending on which events they were competing in.

At the starting line, MacArthur runners jump ahead in the first few steps.  Several track and field events involve just running.
Cameron Moreno
At the starting line, MacArthur runners jump ahead in the first few steps. Several track and field events involve just running.

Over 100 student wanted to represent and be part of MacArthur’s track and field team.  Unfortunately, only 60 reached the skills and effort Evans was looking for most.

The main skill to getting first place in various events is beating their opponents times.

In the longer races the players paced themselves to keep the same amount of energy toward the whole race.

According to Evans the leapfrog technique is very helpful when racing against other teams.

“Mr. Young thought it would fit me because of my athleticism,” said Kris.  He joined track and field in seventh and eighth grade because of PE teacher Mr. Young’s recommendations.  He will continue his dedication for track and field at Servite High School.  Kris competed in hurdles, high jump and relay.

Sixth-grader Alejandro Mena ran in the 200 meter race because of his fondness for running. He received seventh place in the category sixth grade boys 200 meter run. “I’m that type of person that likes to run and practice with my friends,” said Alejandro.

“I joined track and field because I did not want to go home and I like to stay active” said Nathan Lomeli. Coach David Diaz speeches were motivating to Nathan and were part of the reason that he joined track.

Although Nathan admires track and field he does not consider it his favorite sport. Baseball and basketball are more interesting to Nathan than track and field.

Around the bend, student athletes compete at the city track and field tournament.