Students flock to the first Club Rush

ASB organized MacArthur’s first Club Rush for September 7 and 8.

MacArthur Fundamental Intermediate held its first club rush on September 7 and 8.  According to ASB Advisor Mrs. Denise Vicario, the purpose of Club Rush is to allow and create an opportunity for all the students to see all the clubs and societies and to get students involved with the school.  ASB, Associated Student Body, started the club rush three years ago.

Club Rush occurs two times a year for two days and puts all the clubs and societies on display for new students.  There were about 10-12 clubs and societies at the Club Rush.  Some of the clubs and club advisors that were there were Science Teacher Ms. Sue Gallagher representing the Rock Club, PE teacher Mr. Pat Evans recruited for the Boardriders Club, Technology Teacher Mr. Kevin Papke demonstrated the Cup Stacking Club, Science Teacher Dr. Russ Hill looked for eighth graders to participate in the Hippocrates Circle, Vicario handed out applications for sixth-grade ASB officers and homeroom representatives, Math Teacher Mrs. Sherry Skipper promoted CJSF, and History Teacher Mr. Ray Gonzales collected student contact information for the American Heritage Club, which is heading to Washington DC and New York next year.  

The clubs are also advertised on the school website, so if students missed the Club Rush, they could look on the website and see the clubs.  “You don’t have to wait for Club Rush to join a club or a society,” said Principal Mr. David Casper.

ELA Teacher Mr. Greg Celestino was one of the teachers at Club Rush and is the adviser for yearbook.  He participates in every Club Rush to advertise the yearbook and the class.  Yearbook is the class that puts together the yearbook students get at the end of the year.  Each year, the yearbook class makes 500 books and they usually sell out fast.  

Celestino has the club represented in Club Rush to get students interested in the class and raise awareness about the yearbook.  Yearbook also runs the best of the best poll for eighth graders at during the Spring Club Rush.  

“Club rush is a great opportunity to raise awareness for yearbook and all these other amazing clubs,” said Celestino.  

Papke’s club is cup stacking.  About 15 to 30 students join cup stacking.  According to Papke, Cup Stacking Club is for students to develop hand and eye coordination, make friends, and generate self esteem. They learn the basics of cup stacking, and then they could have competitions.  Papke has about 30 sets of cups for each student to use.  The cup stacking club meets the second and last Tuesday of every month at lunch in room 26.

Evans is the Boardriders Anonymous advisor.  The club Boardriders Anonymous is a club where students could practice tricks, have fun, and unite all the boardriders of MacArthur.  Evans joins the Club Rush every year and says that many students want to join the club.  The boardriders club meets every Thursday at lunch in the fitness room.  To join the club, students would have to be adopted as a sixth grader by an eighth grader.   New seventh and eighth graders, who would like to join the club, will need to name 10 different types of boards.  

“Live to Ride,” said Evans.