New faculty members: Miller, Thahab, and Cunningham

Three new faces on campus will help fill the vacancies in the language arts and special education departments.

Mrs. Melissa Miller – language arts, room 22

Filling in the shoes for the newly retired Ms.Julee Blair, a 33-year veteran of MacArthur Fundamental Intermediate, is Mrs. Melissa Miller.  Miller is coming in as a new sixth and seventh grade language arts teacher and will be teaching in room 22.  She has six years experience in teaching, most recently Sierra Prep Academy in Santa Ana Unified School District.

Mrs. Melissa Miller, a proud UCLA alum, takes over room 22 after longtime faculty member Ms. Julee Blair retired.

After being displaced within the district, Miller took the opportunity to come to MacArthur.  She was excited to return where she started her student teaching, having worked under now retired History Teacher Mrs. Kathy Farless.  Miller’s previous experience meant she already had a partial understanding of the fundamental structures of MacArthur.

Besides working at Sierra, Miller taught High School History and AVID.  She has expressed her expectations for the students in her classes, which is to respect and show significant growth.

Growth is important for all MacArthur teachers, since achievement is one of the school’s principles.  As a language arts teacher, Miller wants to see students improve in reading.  “I don’t care for what lexile the student comes in with, what I care about is that they show growth throughout the year,” said Miller.

Mrs. Fabiola Thahab – special education and language arts, room 11

New Special Education Teacher Mrs. Fabiola Thahab has joined the MacArthur Fundamental Intermediate School faculty, helping to replace the now retired Mrs. Maryellen Primm and Mrs. Dee Bayley.  Thahab previously worked at Greenville Elementary and as a substitute for the Santa Ana and Fountain Valley Districts.  Currently, she works in room 11, sharing it with fellow newcomer Mrs. Elisabeth Cerne.  

Mrs. Fabiola Thahab and Mrs. Elisabeth Cerne share room 11 while teaching language arts and special education.

Thahab has ten years experience in education.  She attended Cal State Fullerton, National University, USC, and is currently working on a second bachelors at UCI.  Thahab teaches sixth grade language arts in a two period block, periods two and three.  She also provides classroom support for students on her caseload.

Thahab, while at Greenville Elementary, heard great things about MacArthur so when she saw the opportunity through Edjoin, she was excited to come join the MacArthur family.  She has experience with kindergarten, first and second grades, and bilingual education.

Her expectations for the students in her class is for them to do their very best and have an open mind.  What she is most excited about was expressed with a big smile while she said, “I’m excited to get to know my students well and helping them succeed.”

Mrs. Katie Cunningham – language arts, room 12

In room 12, just a half-mile down the road from her previous site, Mrs. Katie Cunningham began her new position at MacArthur Fundamental Intermediate School in the language arts department.  Cunningham is an experienced teacher and is ready to help her new students achieve their best for the 2016-2017 school year.

Cunningham’s has six years of teaching experience at Saddleback High School. She taught English as well as being a journalism adviser.

Cunningham expressed her enthusiasm to starting the new school year.  While explaining her journey of teaching, she said, “I am excited to meet my students entirely, and for the technology we’re about to use.”

Coming from Saddleback High School she heard some great feedback from Mrs. Ranithi Garcia that MacArthur is an amazing school and said, “I wanted to see for myself the good things I have heard about MacArthur Fundamental.”

This year, Cunningham will be teaching language arts, both sixth and eighth grades.  She expressed that her expectations for the eighth graders is for them to try their hardest to prepare for high school.  As for her sixth graders, her expectations are for them to prepare for success.