Back-to-School Dance raises money for ASB, journalism, and yearbook

Over three hundred students attended the Grease-themed event on September 23.

Students danced the afternoon away on September 23 in the Performing Arts Room, PAR, during the Back-to-School Dance.  Language Arts Teacher Mr. Gregory Celestino and ASB Advisor Mrs. Denise Vicario organized this Grease-themed dance to fund raise for journalism, yearbook, and Associated Student Body.  The dance was from 3:00 to 4:30 PM, and students paid five dollars for entrance.

Seventh-grader Sergio Macias said, “It was lit because I can spend time with my friends.”  Sergio felt that the 50’s or Grease theme was original and he enjoyed it.

“The back to school dance is to kick off the school year, non-academically,” said Celestino.  He believes that the back to school dance or any type of dance can get students involved and spirited.  Also, back to school dances are a very good way to fund raise because it also involves students having fun.  

“The snack bar was my favorite part because I love food,” said eighth-grader Joselin Nunez.  The snack bar contained a variety of food such as pizza, nachos, hot dogs, chips, cookies, and cupcakes.  According to Vicario, the most popular food was nachos, but pizza sold out first.  $853 was made from the snack bar.

The Parent Faculty Organization, PFO, managed the snack bar.  The PFO spent their own time setting up and helped with donating food, too.

The two clubs raised $2,368 selling 303 tickets.  The Grease theme was chosen by the ASB students.  The dance is a very good way to fundraise because people have fun during dances.

Although Celestino and Vicario organized the dance, many other teachers helped out including Mr. Kevin Papke, Mrs. Cristina Barber, Ms. Susan Gallagher, Mr. Ray Gonzales, Ms. Nicole Eastly, Ms. Melissa Miller, and the administrators, Mr. David Casper, Mr. Craig Johnson, and Ms. Jamie Bates.