30 students to attend overnight Catalina trip in April

Through the help of private donations and fundraising, Science Teacher Mr. John Sprafka is organizing an overnight trip to Catalina

For this year’s Catalina trip, 30 seventh graders will get to go on an overnight excursion.  About 110 students turned in an essay to either Science teacher Mr. John Sprafka or Mr. Kevin Papke, explaining why they would like to go, what interested them about marine biology and Catalina, and how this trip would help their education.

The date of the trip is yet to be determined, but will likely be in April, according to Sprafka.  Attending students will get to school at 5 AM and will be getting home around 3 PM the very next day.  The ride over to Catalina is a 4 hour boat ride, there and back.

On this trip students will be learning about navigation, going on an ecosystem hike, dissecting some sea critters, fishing, looking at plankton and, last but certainly not least, snorkeling!  

Through those activities, students will be learning about the Catalina ecosystem, biology of fish and squid, the pelagic ecosystem, food chains, plankton, earth science, and native and non-native plants and animals.

The students are expected to bring swim suits, a towel, sleeping bag, warm clothes, lunch and a toothbrush. One thing they are expected not to bring though is their electronic devices for the fear they might get broken. Every person who is going on this trip will be sleeping on a bunk on the boat, said Sprafka.

Eighth-grader Mia Guadarama, who attended last year’s trip, said that attendees should bring,  “A lot of hoodies and warm clothes because it will get really cold on the boat,” and that, “The best part for me was when we went snorkeling.”

The Catalina trip will not be possible without the private donations and fundraising.

Sprafka said, “This trips affects students later on when they’re in high school and college because they get into science and many students end up studying science in college. ”

Mia thought that this trip made her a better student because, “It helped me realize there are more things in our world that we need to know, and it made me want to know more about our planet.”