Eighth graders informed about the risk of losing privileges

During the annual motivational assembly to begin the second semester, eighth graders learn about the end-of-the-year activities and how they could potentially be excluded.

On January 16, eighth grade students attended the eighth grade assembly in the PAR.  The purpose of the assembly was to motivate the students to strive to succeed and to understand that there will be consequences for their bad actions.  The students were informed by watching several slides that were made by the counselors along with the help of Principal Mr. David Casper.

Assistant Principal Ms. Bertha Benavides had high hopes that the eighth grade assembly would help motivate students to get good grades, act responsible, and listen and participate in class. “I love these kids and I hope they will work hard and end the year off great,” said Benavides.

Counselor Mrs. Tristan said, “These students need to succeed and, as sad as it is, if they make bad decisions or action they will suffer the consequences.”

While at the assembly Casper informed students that about the various end of the year activities eighth grader participate in, such as the Knott’s Berry Farm field trip and eighth grade promotion.  However, if students make poor decisions and do not meet the behavioral expectations of MacArthur, then the activities will be taken away.  For example, if students receive a Friday school then at least one privilege will be taken away.

The assembly lasted a period, and eighth grade boys and girls were separated, so there was enough room in the P.A.R.

According to Tristan, the eighth grade assembly has been held for years and, overall, has had success on limiting the number of students who lose their privileges. “The students always start doing better, not only in behavior, but academic wise as well,” said Tristan. “I hope the students understand that grades are important and that every student should control their behavior.”

“The eighth grade assembly was a great success,” said Casper.  All eighth grade students will now know that grades and behavior are important and if they behave well then they will keep all of their privileges.

“The eighth-grade assembly is very effective for what it’s trying to do and we will keep on doing it for many years to come,” said Benavides.