MacArthur students complete the Spring MAP test

On March 11 and 12, MacArthur students completed the Spring Measure of Annual Progress assessment in reading and mathematics.

Students from MacArthur completed Spring MAP testing from March 11 to March 12. MAP, which stands for the Measure of Annual Progress, testing is used to measure academic growth over the course of the school year.  For students, the test scores are used for placement in next year’s classes. The MAP test is a computer adaptive test, which modifies the questions based on the students’ response.

“The majority of my students seem to improve from their first MAP test to their most recent MAP test,” said Math Teacher Mrs. Holly Kotler.

MAP testing is done through math and language arts classes through a secured testing browser on the Chromebooks.  To allow for time, the bell schedule is put into a block format, where students attend periods 1, 3, and 5 on the first day and 2, 4, and 6 on the second of the block days.

Even though the school is on a block schedule, the test is untimed.  If anyone does not complete the test because of an absence or additional time is needed, he or she would be called out of class to finish the test by Testing Coordinator Mr. Scott Whisner.  Students would finish their tests in the library or P.A.R.

Seventh-grader Natalee Espindola said, “My math MAP test took me almost the whole period complete.  I only had one minute to pack up afterward.”

Students are supposed to be placed in classes that match up with their MAP test scores. Students with lower scores get placer in benchmark classes and students with higher scores get placed in honors level classes.  

There are teachers who are concerned with the amount of time testing takes up.  Besides the MAP, MacArthur also has to administer the CAASPP, California Annual Assessment of Student Performance and Progress, test each April.   Kotler said, “MAP testing provides useful data, but it takes up too much time.”

During MAP testing, teachers are not allowed to help with the content of the test; however, they can help with any technology-related question. For example, explaining to students how to annotate a text digitally on the computer is allowed.  Some teachers give out mints because they believe that it helps students concentrate more while taking the test.

Seventh-grader Dannica Zamora said, “Yes, my MAP test scores did improve. On my math test, I scored around 15 points higher and my language arts test stayed about the same.”