Staff Editorial: MacArthur needs to be prepared for emergencies

The October 7 clown scare proved to be a hoax and nuisance; however, the lack of emergency procedures need to be addressed immediately

For a few short moments on October 7, panic struck the MacArthur campus during nutrition because of widespread fear of the clowns that have been spotted throughout America.  A mass of students surged through the quad at nutrition, causing a partial lockdown in the front office and cafeteria.  The lack of emergency procedures made what should have been a nuisance into a much more troubling event – a lack of an emergency plan.

In order to make our campus as safe as possible, MacArthur needs to practice its emergency plan in multiple settings and multiple drills to keep students and staff prepared and safe.

When tragedy or a crisis strikes, the school needs to run smoothly.  During the clown scare, students were afraid that there was an intruder coming to campus to cause harm.  While the LA Times reported that these sightings have been declared a hoax and nuisance, rather than a substantial threat, MacArthur should have a plan for a dangerous intruder on campus, such as a lockdown.  

Students need to know where to go during a lockdown.  After students began running in the quad, the cafeteria and front office were locked, leaving the overwhelming majority of students outside.  Assuming the threat had been real, many students could have been put at risk.

Also, having a plan and executing it prevents panic in the crisis scenario.  When there’s panic, it is possible for students to be pushed, trampled, and injured if they are stampeding.  By practicing where to go and report, students will be quicker and safer in avoiding harm.

Some people will note that the clowns were not a significant threat.  This is true.  Whether or not the clowns were seen around campus, students need to know what the plan is.  

Besides campus intruders, there are earthquakes and fires to consider as emergencies, too.  MacArthur has an emergency plan and it needs to be practiced regularly.

Moving forward, it is of the utmost importance that the safety of students and staff are prioritized by the comprehensive safety plan we deserve.