Magic society teaches students about the art of illusion

Taking the place of cup stacking, the magic society now shows students tricks using cards, coins, and pads.

Instead of advising the cup stacking club, Technology Teacher Mr. Kevin Papke is now advising the magic club.  The purpose of the magic club is to increase self esteem by performing in front of people and to improve communication skill.  Magic club is learning, practice, and presenting magic tricks.  Students will learn card, coins, the pads and other tricks.

The magic club will meet on Tuesdays at lunch.  About 10 students joined the club.  Papke started this group 12 years ago but it has not been active the past few years, so now he’s bringing it back.  Some students who join are really good, but others want to learn.  For the students to get in the club, they have to show a trick to Papke.  For students who do not know a trick, Papke teaches them, and on the next day, they have to come in the next day to show that they have learned it.

Sixth-grader Leonardo Vasquez  was in the cup stacking club and now he wants to join the magic club.  He wants to join because it is interesting and fascinating for him. The trick that he wants to show Papke is a card trick.  Leonardo is looking forward to learn more tricks and have fun.  He will show a card trick for his club entry.  

Sixth-grader Carlos Montoya really likes magic and that is why he wants to join the magic club.  He also wants to join to learn more tricks. He wants to learn more tricks like the rubber band trick and more card tricks.  He choose to do a pick a card trick to show Papke.  “I think other people should join the magic club because they will have fun,” said Carlos.  

Seventh-grader Andre Espindola joined the magic club because he has always wanted his little brother to look up at him and the magic is the way he will do it.  Andre’s favorite magic trick is the coin disappearing trick the rubber band trick and he wants to learn more coin tricks.  Andre decided to do the coin out of the ear trick to impress Papke.