MacArthur Speech and Debate team begin competition

The first debate competition of the 2016-17 centered around schools’ effort to monitor free speech.

October 8, from 7:00 AM through 4:30 pm at McFadden Intermediate, 35 students represented MacArthur in a speech and debate tournament consisting of five rounds.  The debate team scored fourth place overall out of ten schools.  The MacArthur representatives competed against various schools including Raymond A. Villa Fundamental Intermediate School, Spurgeon Intermediate School, Sierra Preparatory Academy, Frances E. Willard Intermediate School, Mendez Fundamental Intermediate School, McFadden Intermediate School, and Lathrop Intermediate School.   

The MacArthur team debated the topic, “Should K-12 public schools monitor speech outside of school?” against all other present schools.  Additionally, the MacArthur speakers had the opportunity to select their topic from the seven categories including original oratory, poetry, duo-interpretation, dramatic-interpretation, oratorical declamation and perform their topic for other contestants and judges.  

“I am looking for motivated, talented students willing to put in the time and effort to be a winner.  The students must be willing to work with their coaches and help each other do their best.” said Speech Teacher Ms. Sue Whitmire.  Whitmire explained the necessary dedication students must demonstrate in order to succeed in the competitions, including attending the meetings and practicing their speech.

In addition, the tasks the students perform in the process of preparation for the competition vary depending on the category the participant is involved with.  In multiple subjects, the student is responsible for selecting and finding a script with assistance from the coaches; in others such as Original Oratory, the student is responsible for writing their speech.  In debate, the students investigate both sides of the topic to prove their argument.

“I practiced my speech numerous times.  It took determination and hard work, but in the end it was definitely worth it because I have improved in various categories,” said seventh-grade semi-finalist, Aryani Juarez.   

“Public speaking is one of the most valuable skills anyone can have in life, and outstanding speakers can earn scholarships to universities and high schools.  One message I want to give to participants is to enjoy the process, and know that what you are doing is valuable,”  said Whitmire. Whitmire believes the decision of joining Speech and Debate has the potential for a positive effect on the participants.

Furthermore, aside from the benefits participants are able to receive, multiple awards are available for the participants in the competitions.  MacArthur students earned countless positions in the previous competition.  In Oratorical Declamation, seventh-grader Gary Ebat won a third place trophy.  In Original Oratory, two students were awarded with a fourth and sixth place trophy.  Two debate participants scored in first place, and second place.  In addition, a number of students managed to place as semifinalists for Duo-Interpretation.  

Aryani was the singular student participating in the category of Poetry from MacArthur and managed to place in the semifinals.  For the next competition on December 3, semifinalists can win medals, finalists (first through sixth place) are able to win trophies, and a school trophy is available as well.

“I got to learn more about the topic we debated, I got to listen to the other sides of the story.  From my opinion, it can offer everyone various benefits” said seventh grader semi-finalist of the debate Tyson Ma.  In other words, participating in debate can enable multiple students to become educated on different topics.  

“Since the competition, my public-speaking skills have improved and I am no longer shy to talk in front of others,” said seventh-grader, debate semi-finalist Benjamin P. Le.