New fidget toys prove a fun way to help students concentrate

The 3D printed fidget toys are an outstanding way for students to improve concentration

Have you wondered what are those things students have been spinning in their hands occasionally throughout the halls or during passing time? Those are fidget spinners. These types of fidget toys are made up of a variety of materials, models, sizes, and colors and have become an ongoing trend this year, creating a positive influence on students in the classroom and elsewhere.

The majority of students around this age level have excess energy they may need to get rid of, by the ways of constantly clicking their pens, biting their nails, pacing, doodling, chewing gum, fidgeting, and more. In my opinion, this is a great toy for students because this type of toy releases stress from their mind or even just from the student’s fingers. These fidget toys also ease the anxiety of students.

Additionally, doing two things at once, turns out, can actually help focus the ADHD brain on a primary task. Experts believe that engaging in an activity that uses a sense other than what’s required for your primary task can enhance focus and improve performance in children with attention difficulties. An effective fidget doesn’t distract you from your primary task because it is something you don’t have to think about.

Here on campus in Room 26, technology teacher, Mr. Kevin Papke, allows students to design and create their own fidget toys using the 3D printer. Students will first draw and label their desired dimensions of their spinner on a worksheet. Then, students will watch a YouTube video on how to make a spinner, show Papke their computer drawing and worksheet, and finally email it to him with the color of their choice.

For some, the fidget spinners may be a distraction, causing them to not focus on their primary task or even use it inappropriately during class time and distract others. Therefore, students that are designing and building their own original spinner must sign a short contract stating they will promise to use it appropriately during the right times and understand they will receive a consequence if it becomes a distraction in the classroom.

A con about these fidget spinners is that they mainly sold at high prices of $19.99. Why buy a fidget spinner at that price when you can create them at no price in Papke’s classroom? There are chances of it easily breaking with careless use as well. A lot of usage with the toys can lead to damage and disrepair.
A fidget is self-soothing and helps you stay calm and focused. Students who are stressed and fidget a lot should look into buying or create their own spinner.