Hippocrates Circle visits Western University School of Medicine

Coordinated by Dr. Russ Hill, Hippocrates Circle visited a school of medicine to inspire students into the medical field.

Hippocrates Circle Adviser Dr. Russell Hill said Hippocrates Circle is, “A society on campus for students interested in becoming a doctor.”

Hippocrates took a field trip to the Western University School of Medicine on Saturday, November 4.  It is a club that teaches students about the medical field and is held the third Thursday of each month in Room 36.  Hill wanted to start this club because he was, and currently is, a doctor who wants to help students learn this at an early age.

Thirteen members from MacArthur attended the field trip.  There are 39 students in total that are in the club from MacArthur and two other schools.

Hippocrates Circle benefits students by helping them learn medical principles.  It also helps them stay organized and think like a doctor. “I think it’s fantastic, I wish it had been available when I was in middle school,” said Hill.

Hippocrates Circle was originated by Hill in 2003.  This year is his 14th year running the club.  

The club is also sponsored by Kaiser Permanente.  Founded in 1945 by Henry J. Kaiser and Sidney Garfield, Kaiser Permanente is one of the nation’s largest not-for-profit health plans, serving 11.8 million members, with headquarters in Oakland, California.

To join the club, there are some requirements.  Students wanting to participate must fill out an online application.  Then, based on the application, the members are chosen by doctor’s at Kaiser Permanente.

“I am very pleased that we can offer this program to give students an opportunity to explore this career path,” Dr. Hill said.

“Hippocrates Circle gives you a further understanding of what it is to be a doctor,” said eighth-grade Hippocrates Circle member Luis Valencia.

Last year, the only school in the club was MacArthur, and there were 40 members, all from MacArthur.  This year, since two more schools are involved, there aren’t as many spots for members. Now, only 13 members are from MacArthur out of the total 39.