Mr. Stratford joins the special education department

Supporting seventh-grade students, Mr. Stratford is a new member for MacArthur’s special education department.

New Special education teacher Mr. John Stratford, who came from Bernice Ayer Middle school, works with students with special needs on a daily basis.  Stratford loves to teach kids who like to learn and always tries to make himself available.  Students can find Stratford supporting seventh grade students in their core classes and outside of class in room 11.

Working as a special ed teacher is his second career.  Stratford earned his degree from Western Governors University in Utah.  “The best way to help a student succeed is by showing compassion and patience,” said Stratford.

“I love the students and enjoy the teachers and staff and how close every one is they are united and I think that’s wonderful.  It’s a great environment,” said Stratford. Stratford makes himself available after school and he even helps students by providing tutoring after school.

One of the reasons that Stratford decided to work with students is as he said, “Rewarding, my wife was a teacher and spent 24 years teaching students and we raised two sons who love learning new things.  This is my second career and I enjoy it.”  

Some advice that Stratford would give a student here at MacArthur would be to pay attention in school and to learn a lot from the teachers and staff.

What seventh-grader Fausto Leon likes the most about Stratford is that he passes out candy and is very fun.  Fausto said, “He is chill, nice and helps a lot especially in projects and homework he is very fun and always makes me and my classmates laugh,” said Fausto.