Peer Assisted Leadership conducts Red Ribbon Week for MacArthur Students

Warning against the dangers of drug abuse, the week-long focus brings an important message for students.

Throughout the week of October 22 to October 26, Peer Assisted Leadership and Adviser Ms. Susan Whitmire organized Red Ribbon Week for the students at MacArthur.  Red Ribbon Week first started worldwide around the year of 1980 but started in 1990 for MacArthur.

Before Red Ribbon Week, PAL students came to school on Sunday, October 21 to decorate the school with the ribbons, posters, and set up the graveyard.  Many staff helped too, including Science Teachers Mr. Johann Appell, Ms. Susan Gallagher, and Dr. Russell Hill.  Whitmire said that schools all over the country hold Red Ribbon Week events.

According to Whitmire, the importance of Red Ribbon Week is to create awareness for the dangers of using illegal drugs and abusing legal ones.  One lesson that Whitmire hopes that students will take from Red Ribbon Week is not to use illegal drugs or to abuse legal drugs, either.

“Every year when it’s Red Ribbon Week, I talk about Enrique Camarena,” said Whitmire.

For those people who don’t know who Camarena is, he is the person who is commemorated during Red Ribbon Week.  He was a Mexican undercover agent working for more than four years trying to catch trafficking drugs. Unfortunately, Camarena was captured by criminals and murdered.

According to Whitmire, PAL coordinated events for every day of the week.  Monday, October 22 was “Movie Monday” where Red Ribbon bracelets were passed out, and a video informing about the dangers of marijuana was shown during lunchtime in the Performing Arts Room.  The red ribbon bracelets were provided by the Orange County Sheriff’s Department.  Tuesday, October 23, was “Talk About It Tuesday” and students were encouraged to wear red clothing.

My favorite event was the Scavenger Hunt on Think about It Thursday,” said seventh-grader Jasenia Rivera.

Wednesday, October 24, was “Wisdom Wednesday,” and PAL students wore personally made signs bearing drugs facts or inspirational messages.  During lunchtime, students were encouraged to write anti-drug activities and/or beliefs on banners.  

Thursday, October 25 was “Think About It Thursday.”  During science classes, a fact sheet was provided to all students and during lunch time was a scavenger hunt on drug information in the quad.  

Lastly, Friday, October 26 was “Factual Friday,” where students pledged to be drug-free by placing their handprints on banners.

“Making an impact so that people wouldn’t abuse or take drugs,” said seventh-grader Arianna Guzman.