All students complete the Fall MAP exam

MacArthur students took the initial MAP exam for the 2019-20 school year during a block schedule on August 26 and 27.

All MacArthur students took the Fall MAP reading and math tests during a block schedule on August 26 and 27. 

MAP stands for Measure of annual progress.  MAP is a computer adaptive test that modifies questions based on the response of the student.  “There are about 36- 42 questions on the language arts test,” said Language Arts Teacher Ms.Vikki Pham.  “We do the MAP test to see what the students’ reading level is at the beginning, middle and end of the year,” said Pham

MAP testing is completed on Chromebooks and is taken in students’ language arts and math classes.  To accommodate for the time of the test, the school is put on a block schedule. Day 1 houses periods 1, 3 and 5, and periods 2, 4 and 6 are on Day 2.

The tests are untimed, so on the following school days, students were given additional time if they did not finish either or both tests.  In recent years, the demands of makeups and additional time have increased. Data Specialist Mr. Scott Whisner and MacArthur administration coordinate the overflow and makeups.  

Eighth-grader Brianna Perez said, “I think I didn’t do so well last year, and I am going to study what I have learned so far.”

The days before the test, teachers and administration want to ensure students are prepared to perform their best.  “Eat breakfast, get enough sleep, and read the question thoroughly,” said Pham

Eighth-grader Sarah Martinez said, “I am going to prepare by studying and go to sleep early.”

Some examples of questioning for language arts include defining bold, underlined words in context, or finding synonyms.  Some questioning for math includes arithmetic and word problems.