CJSF continues through distance learning

Meeting through Zoom, CJSF plans to maintain its traditional activities for the 2020-21 school year.

The MacArthur California Junior Scholarship Federation members and officers started meeting for the 2020-2021 school year.  The elections for CJSF took place in February, prior to the campus closure. 

According to CJSF Adviser Mrs. Sherry Skipper-Spurgeon, meetings take place on the second Thursdays of each month via Zoom. 

CJSF members and Skipper are continuing to do community service through tutoring students, and they are looking to continue their beach clean-ups at the Newport Aquatic Center. 

Skipper said that they will be working as peer tutors and will tutor via Zoom for their respective teachers. 

“The biggest challenge has been in getting information out to the student population as we are limited in how the information can be shared,” said Skipper.  “I am thrilled that we were able to get 37 seventh and eighth graders to commit to CJSF in the midst of a pandemic! MacArthur Tigers ROCK!”

This year, the officers consist of a president, vice president, and the secretary/treasurer.  They are all eighth graders.  The president is Lynne Nguyen, the vice president is Thomas Tran, and Quan Nguyen is the secretary/treasurer.

Lynne believes that CJSF brings people together and that’s something you don’t see very often.  “We have a wonderful connection with the MacArthur teachers and we are very grateful to them for allowing us to tutor their students,” said Lynne.

According to Lynne, officers are not keeping track of their hours but hope and trust that they can tutor at least once a week.  Lynne and her team are currently working on the new design for sweatshirts and T-shirts and are looking forward to making the best out of this year despite the circumstances. 

“I would never forget the fun moments we had paddle boarding and falling into the water or the fun times we had helping with the Pizza sale,” said Lynne.

Thomas enjoys being in CJSF because “When you help someone, seeing them being thankful and appreciative of you is all you need to get confidence.”  Thomas added, “helping people lets me know that I’m making a difference in my community.”