Expectations Assembly brings the dress code to the forefront

To promote a safe campus, the MacArthur administration held an assembly to emphasize a number of rules and expectations at the start of the second semester.

On January 10, two days after students had returned to school from Winter Break, Assistant Principal Mr. Raul Olivas, Assistant Principal Cheri Daniels, and Principal Mr. Ray Gonzales held an expectations assembly in the P.A.R. Students attended this assembly during their elective class, ranging from first period to sixth period. This assembly emphasized rules and expectations that had already been previously made. The assembly reviewed the dress code, nutrition and lunch expectations, after school behavior, and grades.

“I think it’s important, we need reminders, we’re all humans. I think everyone received it well,” Daniels said.  “I think it went well, we enjoyed it.”

As the assembly progressed, students noticed a change. The popular brand Pro Club is no longer allowed to be worn at school.  Pro Club, is a clothing brand that sells hoodies, zip-ups, sweatpants, shorts, heavyweight long-sleeves, and heavyweight T-shirts. Usually, Pro Club shirts are a plain color that tends to be oversized. 

Additionally, along with the prohibition on Pro Club, the school put a clarification on star face pimple patches.  Now, they must match the students’ skin tone.  Additional clarifications included a reminder on the rules against oversized clothing and a clarification on necklaces.  Necklaces must be kept tucked inside the students’ shirts unless the chain is short enough to be above the neckline.

“I don’t really like the sizing in clothing. I don’t like the rule for the long sleeve because I like long sleeves; I like to be comfy,” said eighth-grader Elena L.

While the dress code portion got the strongest response, there were several other rules that the administration emphasized, such as not loitering in Lillie King park before or after school, complying when being summoned to office, attending classes on time, etc. Principal Gonzales also emphasized that in the instance of a fight on campus, students are not to rush towards the fight, nor get out cell phones to record the incident.  

Towards the end of the assembly, counselors Mr. Munachiso Osisioma, and Mr. David Diaz joined by Mr. Johan Arana provided information if students ever needed to reach out.  For instance, if students request to see Diaz, they can fill out a Google Form in the Counselor’s Google Classroom for non-emergency requests. The school counselors let students know that they are there to help, whether that is with helping with grades, study skills, college & career, etc. 

“I dislike the rules because when the rule comes to no hugging or holding hands,” said eighth-grader Miranda M.

At the end of the expectations assembly, there was a brief mention of eighth-grade privileges.  The next assembly on rules and expectations will review the specific eighth-grade privileges. Some privileges that eighth graders can look forward to include the eighth-grade dance, the field trip to Knott’s Berry Farm, the year-end slideshow, and the Promotion Ceremony.  In the second semester, eighth graders can potentially be held out of these privileges if they exhibit poor behavior or grades.