The student news site of MacArthur Fundamental Intermediate School

The Tiger's Tale

The Tiger's Tale

The Tiger's Tale

Mr. Arana becomes a counselor!

Changing from FACE Liason to Counselor, Mr. Johan Arana now has an opportunity to work directly with students.

Mr. Johan Arana has switched jobs from FACE liaison to a counselor. On September 29, he moved from room 41 to the front office and took the position after completing his credential in August and being notified of the opening. Two counselors, Mrs. Laurie Tristan and Mr. Muna Osisioma, left last year for the district office, opening the position.

“This is a job I have been working for the past two years. While I was working here as a FACE liasion, I went to school to get my Masters,” said Arana.

On a daily basis, counselors help students with needs like grades, emotions, and more. Arana said counselors try to give a presentation every month to the whole school. For example, they gave a suicide prevention presentation for September’s suicide prevention month. At MacArthur, counselors also implement interventions, such as the Agenda check, when students are referred to the office due to the Assignment Card.

Having switched positions, many people already had familiarity with Arana. “Overall I think Mr. Arana is a cool person,” said eighth-grader Darlyn V. Darlyn is now part of Arana’s counselor caseload.

Prior to Arana’s changing positions, Darlyn was on Counselor Mr. David Diaz’s caseload. Diaz moved his office to the P.A.R., in the book room, which was Future Ready Coach Mrs. Trang Fabella’s office last year.

To fill Arana’s old position, Principal Mr. Ray Gonzales will post the position on Edjoin, an educator recruitment site. Then, there will be an interview process. The FACE liaison helps foster communication among families, the school, and the community.

“I’m excited he gets to utilize his skills helping the students and family,” said Assistant Principal Ms. Cheri Daniels.
Last year, Arana earned the staff member of the year for FACE liaison.

“This is a great opportunity! I get to work individually with students,” said Arana.