The student news site of MacArthur Fundamental Intermediate School

The Tiger's Tale

The Tiger's Tale

The Tiger's Tale

Back to School Dance raises money for A.S.B., Runstrong

Over 200 students celebrated the start of school at the “Bye-Bye Summer” themed dance.

On Friday, September 29, The Back to School Dance took place in the quad and the Performing Arts Room, P.A.R. A total of 235 students paid entrance into the dance, and the Back to School dance was a fundraiser for the Associated Student Body, A.S.B., and Runstrong. The dance was promoted by the members of A.S.B. and P.F.O. and was themed with Bye-Bye Summer tagline.  Students were encouraged to wear Hawaiian shirts.   

A.S.B. is the student government at MacArthur and is made up of sixth, seventh, and eighth-grade students. A.S.B. promotes events such as dances, coordinates clubs, and helps with the daily announcements, too.

At the dance, some of the games that were there were cornhole, tug-of-war, and ping pong. The snacks provided at the dance are directly from the student store, including chips, soda, pizza, and Maruchan. These are items regularly available at the after-school student store. 

Seventh-grader Zoë G. attended the back-to-school dance, and her best experience was “when everybody got to dance together.”  Zoë also played games and had fun “in the tug-of-war, and I won.”

The dance was held as a fundraiser for ASB and Runstrong, a total of $1,702 was earned.  The earnings from the dance are split between the two groups. 

Runstrong is another activity at Macarthur Fundamental, Runstrong is composed of students from sixth, seventh, and eighth. Runstrong consists of running, races, and team bonding activities.

Putting together a dance requires coordination between teachers, parents, and student volunteers., ASB member Melissa R. said, “I got to work shifts with friends!” but had difficulties “when people won’t follow directions, especially in the photo booth.”

Counselor Mr. Johan Arana, one of the A.S.B. advisers said that the most difficult part of the dance was “finding volunteers to be stationed.”  Considering nobody wanted to be stationed at the restrooms.

The remaining dances left for Macarthur that are being held by A.S.B. are the Halloween, Winter, Friendship, 8th grade, and the End-of-the-School-Year dance.