ASB’s Fun Friday shifts competition to friendship

Seeking to offer more opportunities at student involvement, ASB initiates Fun Fridays

SKIPPING ROPE - Students jumps rope in the quad as part of the first Friendship Friday.  While the competitive Spirit Roars also take place in the quad, Friendship Fridays served a different, less competitive purpose.
SKIPPING ROPE – Students jumps rope in the quad as part of the first Friendship Friday. While the competitive Spirit Roars also take place in the quad, Friendship Fridays served a different, less competitive purpose.

Spanish teacher and ASB advisor Mrs. Maria Vicario hosted Fun Friday on November 20 in the field at lunch.  The purpose of Fun Friday was for students to have fun, and there was a variety of activities provided.  Many activities were ideas from many ASB officers and the adviser herself.

SKIPPING ROPE - Seventh-grader Grace Gonzalez jumps rope in the quad as part of the first Friendship Friday. While the competitive Spirit Roars also take place in the quad, Friendship Fridays served a different, less competitive purpose.
SKIPPING ROPE – Seventh-grader Grace Gonzalez jumps rope in the quad as part of the first Friendship Friday. While the competitive Spirit Roars also take place in the quad, Friendship Fridays served a different, less competitive purpose.

Vice-president Daniela Torres said, “We don’t have a specific thing just to get the students to show pride and they were participating.”

According to Vicario, the November Fun Friday was themed for thankfulness leading into Thanksgiving break.  ASB hosted the second Fun Friday to give students something to do and make new friends because not all kids want to compete in Spirit Roars.

For the final Roar last year, Vicario observed that “kids were just hanging out and having fun.”  Under Vicario’s advice, ASB sought to create a fun event where students could make friends.  Fun Fridays will alternate with Spirit Roars, the traditional competitive spirit competitions that ASB holds about once a month.

Besides ASB members, some homeroom representatives helped out making Fun Friday come together.  Vicario wanted students from other clubs to participate as well, like from The American Heritage club got involved in the November Fun Friday.

There was many activities such as an obstacle course, flag football, charades, password, and a spirit dance choreographed by the advisor.  The whole Fun Friday idea came from Vicario but the individual events and activities came from ASB officers.

Dance Commissioner Jordy Ocampo said, “I did the obstacle course and many people were competitive but some weren’t.”

Brianna Flores, one of the two activities officers, also said, “The theme was many things and it was just so everyone can come together.  It was very fun.”

Vicario also said that Fun Friday wasn’t a reward for raising up money but it’s a nice way to spend a Friday.  The act of giving is enough no rewards just giving can make you happy.

Overall, Fun Fridays represent another way students can become involved on campus by showing their spirit.