Lee Denim Day raises money to fight breast cancer

Students and staff donated a total of $610.10 for this year’s Lee Denim Day

On October 2, MacArthur participated in Lee Denim Day, which was organized by Math Teacher Mrs. Sherry Skipper-Spurgeon.  Students donated three dollars towards cancer research, received a special pin, and wore pink.

MacArthur raised $610.10 this year from 15 staff members and 148 students. The donated money was collected by Skipper and went to the American Cancer Society, the largest voluntary health organization in the United States.

Students were encouraged to wear pink and denim. MacArthur has participated in Lee Denim Day for as long Skipper has been here, before, social studies teacher, Ms. Sandi Palmer was in charge of it.

According to denimday.com, donations help the American Cancer Society by funding groundbreaking cancer research; providing free, comprehensive information and support to those touched by breast cancer; and helping people take steps to reduce their breast cancer risk or find it early when it’s most treatable.

Seventh-grader Lani Nguyen said, “Supporting women with breast cancer makes a big difference.”

Breast cancer is the second most common cancer, after skin cancer in the United States. One in eight women develop breast cancer over the course of their lifetime and it is very rare for men to be diagnosed with breast cancer.  The American Cancer Society estimates that there will be 40,290 deaths from breast cancer in 2015 in the United States.

Language arts teacher Mrs. Veronica LaFrossia said, “It is important because it helps young people become aware of breast cancer, which is something that years ago wouldn’t be discussed with younger people.” Clearly, awareness has been raised.