MAP Tests continue to measure student growth

In the second year of implementation, MacArthur students took midyear MAP tests to measure math and English skills

For the second time this year, MacArthur Intermediate has taken the MAP Test.  Using a special testing schedule on January 21 and 22, every student tested with their second period for a two-hour block at the start of the day.Testing Bell Schedule

According to Principal Mr. David Casper, the MAP Test is like a baseline.  It shows what students need to improve on and what knowledge have been retained.  MAP stands for Measure of Academic Progress.

The first test took place on October 1 and 2.  Every student went to their second period classroom but, for the students who had P.E. second period, they were assigned to unused classrooms or the library.

The teachers were trained for this test and were taught to address technical problems and testing standards, overall.

“Mr. John De Gree was very helpful during the Map Test,” said eighth grader Carlos Contreras.

According to Casper, this test can help teachers improve instruction.  After the test, teachers can access reports that show each student’s strengths and weaknesses. The January test monitors student progress at the midpoint, and a final test will be taken in June.

In the days before the test, Casper gave students reminders to bring their Chromebooks fully charged, so the test could run smoothly.  The first testing window, which was in October, had to be postponed once because of internet connectivity issues.  The second test, though, went much smoother.

After the two hour testing block was nutrition.  Then, students had all their classes in short, 36 minute periods, for the remainder of the day.

Besides the MAP test, the special testing schedule was used in December for the District Writing Assessment, and will be used in May for the CAASP testing, too.