Girls basketball dominates to take first

The MacArthur girls basketball team went undefeated at the SAUSD district tournament on December 5 to win the championship.

On December 5, 2015, the MacArthur girls basketball team won the basketball tournament at Valley High School.  The basketball team was coached by Mr. Ronald Cheser and Ms. Crystal Belltran.

Cheser believed that “every team has special qualities.”  This year, the team were the fastest passers he has had.  In past years, the team has had height as a big advantage on their side.  The team’s outstanding passing ability allowed this year’s team to become champions.

The girls have played in three out of the last four championship games and won them all.  In the odd year where the girls were not champions, the Cheser-led squad still placed third.  Under his leadership, MacArthur’s girls basketball team has dominated.

The tournament was held on Saturday, December 5, and it was from 8:00 AM until 2:00 PM.  The tournament was held at Valley High School here in Santa Ana.

In the weeks leading up to the game, practice lasted two hours after school every day but Wednesdays.  Practice did  include study time and a snack, besides the athletic portion.  According to Cheser the students were supplied with sufficient equipment to play the game.

Comparing this year’s squad to previous teams, Cheser thought there are usually about two strong players on the team, but this year there were four strong players on the team.  Chese r labeled eighth grade MacArthur students Destiny Porter and Joyce Jogwe the “offensive designers.”

“The subs are just as good as the starters, too” said Cheser.  He believed that there was tons of parent support at the games, which helps maintain motivation.  Also, the games were held outdoors during the tournament.  Traditionally, the tournament had been held indoors, putting MacArthur at a disadvantage because the team does not have a gym, unlike competing schools Villa and Carr.

The team played four schools at the tournament.  They played Villa, Mendez, Esqueda, and Carr.  They beat Via 20-0, Mendez 36-12, Esqueda 28-2, and Carr 31-7.