Yearbook and Journalism classes deserve awards, too!

To maintain the institutional beliefs of spirit, pride, and achievement, media classes deserve to be recognized along all the other elective classes!

The awards assembly is a tradition MacArthur has held for a long time.  They have awards for everything school related, but Journalism and Yearbook.

The awards assembly covers everything from ASB to Hippocrates Circle, but the assembly never gives the students who participate in Journalism and Yearbook any awards.  Those electives work very hard throughout the year to get no credit at the end.

In Journalism, the staff reporters learn everything about journalism, and then eventually join in on writing.  For example newsgathering and newswriting are just two of the subjects they learn.  The editors including the Editor-in-chief, managing editor, coverage editor, photo editor, and design editor work hard throughout the year to make The Tiger’s Tale perfect.

Yearbook students also learns what is to know about yearbook. The students in yearbook work together with the editors to complete the yearbook.  The editors include the senior editor, design editor, photo editor, managing editor, and coverage editor.

Journalism and Yearbook may not work on as many projects as ASB or PAL, but we are dedicated to what we do.  We have deadlines, and get homework cards.  We have to go out and get information and pictures, and it can be difficult at times to meet the expectations.

The yearbook and the newspaper work all year long just like the other topics that have awards. These students would love to get recognized in front of their school for their concentrated work.

At the 8th grade graduation Editor-in-Chief, Senior Editor, and 1 more 8th grader from each class gets awards, but the other members of the staff doesn’t and that is unfair.  At least all the editors should receive an award for their work in creating The Tiger’s Tale and Yearbook.

There are many types of awards Journalism and Yearbook can receive.  For Journalism there could be most improved writer, most featured reporter, and editor of the semester.  For Yearbook there should be most improved photographer, best design, and best writer.

Yearbook and Journalism are usually the ones behind the scenes; their job is to report on the people of their community not themselves.