Eighth graders experience the Museum of Tolerance

The entire eighth grade class attended the Museum of Tolerance on March 28

On March 28, eighth graders went to the Museum of Tolerance in Los Angeles, CA.  The eighth graders went to tour the Holocaust exhibit and the Tolerance exhibit in the museum.  In total, the tour lasted about three hours.  All MacArthur students attended after being transported by busses, leaving MacArthur at 6:30 AM, 7:00, 7:30, 8:00.

The field trip lasted longer than a regular school day, going about eight hours, depending on traffic.  On this trip there were 16 teachers, counselors, or administrators, which meant two on each bus.  To get to the museum, it took an hour and a half to two hours, depending on traffic.

For the trip, the students wore professional wear like during Model Congress.  This meant boys wore button up shirts, ties, and slacks.  For the girls, they were to wear business / professional clothing that could include blouses, pants, skirts, dresses, sweaters, etc.  Language Arts Teacher Mr. Gregory Celestino said, “We expect all the eighth graders to be at their best behavior because the tone reflects the serious events that happened.”  The students’ attire helped reflect the serious tone.

Each year, the Museum of Tolerance is an important field trip on which eighth graders go.  MacArthur has been attending the Museum of Tolerance for over 12 years.

Prior to the trip, each student was asked to donate at least ten dollars to help offset the cost.  The entire trip totals over $9000 dollars because of entrance and bus fees.  

Eighth grader Madison Perez said “I expected the Museum of Tolerance to be interesting and unforgettable.”  Madison wore black pants, a blouse, and comfortable shoes.

Eighth grader Jennifer Mora said, “I expected the museum to be extremely emotional and it was.”