Homework should not be given on the weekend

Homework’s effectiveness is in question, and stress is a real problem. Therefore, homework should not be given on the weekend.

Imagine coming out of school and expecting to make plans for the weekend once you get home. When you walk through your front door, you are distraught and remember about your homework that is due on Monday.  Due to the amount of homework, you are homebound and the days where you were supposed to be relaxed are ruined.

Weekends are supposed to be the days that students, and everyone else, get to recharge.  Homework defeats the purposes of weekends.  When students are assigned homework over the weekends, this makes them feel like they have no break.  Students become stressed out on the days they are supposed to relax when they have to worry about homework.

To prevent this from happening, students should not receive assignments on the weekends.  This can happen by teachers planning their lessons out each week, so the content does not spill into the weekend.  While that may mean more time for homework on each weekday, students will enter the weekend with less to worry about.

According to Open College’s Website, The U.S. National Education Association recommends no more than ten minutes per grade level, per night.  Sometimes, homework has even been legislated.  In, fact California banned homework for students under the age of 15 in 1901!  Even older students were limited to 20 recitations a week.  

Homework does not improve student knowledge, according to Open Colleges.  Duke University found 60 studies that assigning homework was good, but too much homework was not.  Harris Cooper is a leading homework research that suggests homework needs to be “uncomplicated and short, involve families, and engage student interests.”

Stanford News even reported that homework creates stress.  In fact 56% of student stress is caused by homework.  33% is caused by the worry of receiving good grades on homework.  Less than one percent of students say that homework doesn’t stress them.  Studies show that this affects families as well. This puts stress on families because of the ability to not help the child with the homework.  

“The data shows that homework over this level is not only not beneficial to children’s grades or GPA, but there’s really a plethora of evidence that it’s detrimental to their attitude about school, their grades, their self-confidence, their social skills, and their quality of life,” said Stephanie Donaldson-Pressman to CNN.  She is an expert in family health dynamics.

Although homework does not necessarily benefit students, teachers may think otherwise.  For their perspective, homework can enhance the lesson taught to make sure the students remember the content.  Homework on the weekends, in a teacher’s perspective, is seen as improving students knowledge.  Even if that were true, the stress homework inflicts still has a negative impact.  Therefore, let the weekends be homework-free.

Moving forward, it would be best for students to not have homework on the weekends.  The weekends should be the weekends, not a continuation of the week.