50 MacArthur students take the National Assessment of Education Progress

Also known as “the nation’s report card”, the N.A.E.P. compares California students to others across the country.

This year, 50 eighth grade students were randomly selected to take a National Assessment of Education Progress exam, also known as the nation’s report card, on February 2.  The exam compared students in California and what they are learning comparison in all the other 50 states to see how the students are progressing.  The test was administered on iPads, online.

This test exam benefits students because it helps educators refine teaching skills so students learn better.  However, this test chooses students by lottery, and it gives the government a picture on how eighth graders are doing educationally in California.

Students are selected to take this test because the federal government provides public schools with money, and they want to know how well we are spending their money.  Basically, the test acts for accountability.  The test consisted of multiple choice, but some students had essays to write out.

The categories students are tested on are mathematics, reading, and science. In the year 2015, 34 percent of the eighth graders in California scored at or above proficiency. In mathematics all eighth graders scored 33 percent and in Science, all eighth graders scored 34 percent in the state of California.  

This test does not count towards any students grades but it does represent him/her as a student. It represents them, in a way, that the grade they got on the test, will represent the school in California, not just themselves.

Eighth-grader Pablo Flores stated, “This test was really difficult, and I didn’t seem to understand what they were asking for.  However, I put my all into it and tried my best.”