P.E. Teachers enforce sitting down at lunch table rule

Enforcing an already established rule of staying seated at the lunch tables after P.E. keeps the campus more organized.

“There’s more discipline and when everyone is doing the same thing it creates a learning environment,” said P.E. Teacher Mr. Pat Evans.  

When the students are done changing and they’re walking to the lunch tables, one of the P.E. teachers is out there standing making sure the students are sitting down.

In the beginning of March, the P.E. teachers started enforcing students to sit down.  When students are done changing they have to go sit down at the lunch tables.  The P.E. teachers or noon supervisors tell the students to sit down.  They made this rule for the students safety.

According to Evans, the person that first started this rule was Mr. Jim Wilkinson.  He was one of the old P.E. teachers who used to work at MacArthur.  Therefore, this is not a new rule at all.

Evans said, “It creates a culture of learning.”

SEATED AND WAITING - Students, having changed from their P.E. uniforms, are seated at the lunch tables and waiting for the passing bell to ring.
Amber Carillo
SEATED AND WAITING – Students, having changed from their P.E. uniforms, are seated at the lunch tables and waiting for the passing bell to ring.

If the students are not sitting down at the lunch tables, then they will be assigned a campus clean up by one of the P.E. teachers or a noon supervisor.  According to Evans, the students do follow the new P.E. rule.  A campus cleanup is a consequence that requires students to fill a trash bag with trash.

Years ago, the students at first had to sit down on blacktop.  Then they had to move the students to the lunch tables.  

Seventh-grader Abby Duenas said, “I don’t like the rule because there isn’t always a place to sit”.